In Store Initiatives for the Holiday Season
As it is widely known, the holiday season, especially Christmas, is the busiest time of the year for retailers. This is because consumers have more urges to shop, they want to give presents out, and they feel more festive.
Shopping decisions are more impulsive and it is more likely for them to pay less attention to their budget. This is why retailers have to provide incentives for consumers to trigger their emotional satisfaction. As mentioned in our past articles, the optimal strategy is combining digital and offline marketing actions.
Here are some offline initiatives you can implement:
Holiday displays: Make sure you decorate your store with an eye-catching display according to the holiday, as it will attract customers. Display ideas
Consider setting up a pop up store, as it will increase brand awareness and you will reach more customers. It is a key period to boost sales and connect with new and existing customers. 3 Reasons Why Your Business Should Open a Holiday Pop Up
Set up a BOPIS (Buy Online, Pickup In Store) option, as many consumers will be purchasing online but wish to pick it up in store. This model meets customer expectations for fast service and allows retailers to compete against fast delivery brands. It also combines online and offline and focuses on consumer satisfaction. Zara BOPIS
Release seasonal products. If able, release a holiday version of your bestsellers products. Starbucks Holiday Blend
Sidewalk signage: You want to drive traffic to your store, so if your location regulations allow it, do not hesitate in placing a sign outside to drive consumers in your store. Retail Sidewalk Signs
Engage with your customers integrating social media. Create an activity in store where customers have to post on their social media tagging you in order to get a discount, create a hashtag, etc. Get Your Social Media Audience Into Your Store
Be strategic with product placement:
- Group related items in the same section
- Prominence to your best selling products
- Low cost products near checkout, as consumers are more likely to make last minute additions to their carts.
- Freebies: Depending on your business, give out complimentary products and grow your email list. This is the perfect opportunity of growing your database, as people in general are more likely to give out their contact information in exchange for a discount, or a free product.
- Make sure you have your best sellers well stocked, as you don’t want to run out of stock on the first days.
- A perfect idea for Christmas is an advent calendar. You can adapt it to your brand accordingly. Best Beauty Advent Calendars
- Create bundles of your products. They are perfect for gifting and make consumers feel like they get more for less, leaving them with a feeling of satisfaction. Makeup Gift Sets
- Provide special packaging for your products. Use colors according to the holiday (i.g. red, white or green for Christmas) Starbucks Holiday Cups
There are many ways brands can implement initiatives for the holidays. The key is that you find the one that works for you, and plan ahead for it to work perfectly. This year is the perfect opportunity to improve customer and brand relations and establish a deeper connection.